What is the composition of Bile juice? What are the functions of Bile juice?

Solution :-

What is Bile ?

Gall, another name for bile, is a yellowish-green-brown aqueous solution. It is a crucial element for organism survival and is formed in the liver of the majority of vertebrates. Hepatocytes continuously secrete it, and it is ultimately stored in the gallbladder. When necessary, it is then transported to the intestinal lumen. The small intestine’s bile is crucial to the digestion of lipids.

Composition of Bile juice

95% of the bile is water, and the remaining 5% is made up of dissolved solids like bile salts (0.7%), bilirubin (0.2%), fats (0.51%), including cholesterol, fatty acids, and lecithin, as well as inorganic salts, vitamins, and environmental toxins. The bilirubin is orange-yellow in color while the biliverdin is green in color.

Functions of Bile

i) An essential excretory route for harmful lipophilic substances like bilirubin (an RBC byproduct), is the bile.

ii) One of the vital parts of bile, bile salts, aid in emulsifying fats and also boost intestinal absorption.

iii) Bile also helps to eliminate cholesterol.

iv) bile contains cytokines and IgA that activate the innate immune system and protect the organism from enteric infections.

v) It is a crucial part of cholehepatic and enterohepatic circulation.

vi) The bile also contains a variety of hormones and pheromones that aid in intestine development.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *