People from distant lands visited Surat because of the following reasons:
- Surat was the gateway for trade with West Asia via the Gulf of Ormuz.
- Surat has also been called the gate to Mecca because many pilgrim ships set sail from here.
- There was a big market for cotton textiles. One could find several retail and wholesale shops selling cotton textiles.
- The textiles of Surat were famous for their gold lace borders, Le. zari and had a market in West Asia, Africa and Europe.
- There were ample rest-houses for the visitors. Magnificent buildings and innumerable pleasure parks attracted people of far-off places.